Zachary R. Potter
- ph: 561.832.1005
Yale Law School, J.D., 2001
Princeton University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1998
- New York
- Washington, DC
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth and Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Courts, Middle District of Florida, Southern District of New York, Central District of California
- Law Clerk, The Honorable Richard Cardamone, U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 2001-2002
Zachary Potter joined the firm in 2011 to work with Jeff Fisher after practicing as a corporate litigator at Holland & Knight for almost a decade. At Holland & Knight, Mr. Potter regularly worked with Fortune 500 companies to represent their interests in trial and appellate courts throughout the country, including in the United States Supreme Court and the United States Courts of Appeal.
Mr. Potter was originally brought into Holland & Knight as a "Chesterfield Smith Fellow," which was a program developed by the firm to attract and retain the highest performing law students in the country. Now that he has transitioned into family law practice, Mr. Potter brings the skills that he developed representing large companies to the same types of disputes that arise in high net worth and complex family cases. From the firm's perspective, it is not enough to simply understand "family law" when a business or substantial assets are in dispute. Rather, in those instances, the skills of a corporate litigator become paramount.
- Co-author, "Calculating Damages In Securities Contract Breach Cases," Law360 (October 2015)
- Co-author, "Tax Consequences of Distributing Equity Compensation Rights in Divorce," Florida Bar Journal (January 2014)
- Co-author, "Reconsidering Epistemology and Ontology in Status Identity Discourse," Harvard BlackLetter Law Journal (Spring 2001)
- American Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- The New York Bar
- The Washington, D.C. Bar
- The California Bar
- Palm Beach County Bar Association
- The Susan Greenberg Family Law Inn of Court
- Represented Sarah Pursglove in her divorce from internet entrepreneur Robert Oesterlund
- Represented Ashley Kozel in her divorce from Gulf Keystone Petroleum, Ltd. CEO Todd Kozel (and in the post-judgment trial)
- Defended newspaper and opinion columnist in defamation action brought by pro golfer John Daly.
- Defended television stations in defamation actions brought by the various subjects of their reporting.
- Defended Fortune 500 transportation company in Florida and New York courts in large tort actions brought against the company.
- Defended motor carrier in Federal District Court, in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, and in the United States Supreme Court in class action involving 25,000 current and former drivers.
Awards & Recognitions
- Outstanding Barrister, Bar Association of San Francisco, 2005
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Man of the Year, 2012
- New York Times, December 28, 2017
- Palm Beach Post, July 13, 2017
- Daily Business Review, September 20, 2016
- Palm Beach Daily News, December 1, 2015
- Law360, October 8, 2015
- Daily Business Review, October 5, 2015
- The Florida Bar Journal, January 2014
- Palm Beach Daily News, June 9, 2012
- Palm Beach Daily News, March 24, 2012